Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Easter memories!

Easter is my favorite holiday of the year. I believe it's mostly because of the spiritual significance. It's just a happy thing when the Christians of this world, practicing or non-practicing, can get excited about faith. Hurray! (Incidentally, I just barely learned about the Pascal greeting, which a relative tried on me and I failed to respond to properly. Oops! But, you know, I can break out with a mean rendition of "Christ the Lord is Risen Today.")

You cannot ignore, however, that while Easter equals Christmas in religious significance, it is infinitely less stressful. I mean, you don't have to do any decorating unless you want to. You are not expected, not even by yourself, to lay out lots of money on a bunch of presents. There is no pinching involved whatsoever. You don't need a costume. It's unlikely you'll be expected to travel far for visits or host a house guest, since it's just one day of festivities. You get to follow it up with at least 4 or 5 days of yummy hard boiled egg breakfasts. (I'm a big fan of those white round things). It also happens to occur during my favorite season of the year - Spring! (I did miss the tulips this year, though). It's just a lovely holiday, and that's even if the extent of your religious practices is to watch "The Ten Commandments" and wonder what was wrong with those silly Israelites. Poor Moses! You come down one day exhausted, starving, and anxious, and then you have to deal with a bunch of naked loons making a ruckus. Actually, that sounds like some of my days, to be honest.

Anyway, we had a lovely Easter, despite having a terribly messy house and being overbooked on Saturday, our shopping and preparation day. The Easter Bunny (yes, we play that game) brought us all some media. Sophie got "Enchanted", Aidan got "Buzz Lightyear of Star Command", David received a Bob Marley CD, and I received "Godspell." (Hurray for Victor Garber in suspenders with a very large afro! Amazingly enough, he was still very handsome.) Mr. Bunny also brought a lot of sugar. Our Easter spread looked like this on Sunday morning.


The kids looked like this.




You may recognize Aidan's suit from last year. The pickin's were slim at Burlington, and the time was even...slimmer? Either way, it's a delightful suit, and it makes me terribly happy when he wears it. (He looks pretty happy too, but that's probably more because he's holding his blue and black Batmans.)




Sophie had a bit more luck with her dress. Here she is with Deanna, one of her Cabbage Patch Newborns.



Cute no? Believe it or not, Sophie and Deanna's dresses came together at an amazingly low $29.99. We paid for the nice deal by searching through the chaos of Burlington Coat Factory. I don't know if I've gone off about that place yet, but it is so appallingly disorganized at ALL TIMES. It is completely unacceptable! Every time I go I want to fire everyone, especially the manager who accepts such appalling work from the staff.


What I also feel is a bit unacceptable is the fact that there is no such thing as an Easter dress with sleeves. I ask you, what do the little Christian girls in Greenland do? They can't go around in sleeveless, spaghetti strap, or tank dresses on Easter Sunday. They'd freeze their little arms off! As you see, we resorted to the slightly long sweater shawl, which added a touch of elegance while covering a little too much of her cute dress. Ah well!


Church was lovely, and we came home to prepare for dinner at the Grahams and dye Easter eggs. Sorry, I have no pictures (I know you were excited). Suffice it to say, our Easter eggs are... fun. We usually enjoy dipping each egg in several different colors until we're satisfied with the effect (or until the egg turns brown, whichever comes first).


Our Easter egg hunt and dinner at the Grahams was lovely, though when the subject of the upcoming Graham Family Reunion came up, I started to have anxiety attacks. I won't go into my reasons. I just get overwhelmed with stuff like that, especially if I remember that this baby will probably be about a month old at that time and not really ready for big crowds. Michael, the committee representative was very understanding and compassionate when we discussed it later. We were finally able to wind down the discussion at 8:00 o'clock, and, as we were driving home and the clock read 8:32, my cute husband said the following to me: "It may be a little late to mention it, but were you planning on calling family today?" My hands flew to my face, and I moaned, "I knew I forgot something."


Happily all is well, and each of the family members I've reached so far have been very patient and understanding and had their own lovely Easter Sundays.


So, we survived yet another holiday! I was just thinking, though, about how, despite the messes, inevitable frenzies, and sugar rushes, short people tend to add a bit more joy and meaning to the holidays.



You know what I mean?


By the way, indeed He is risen! Happy Belated Easter!

3 comments:

Barb said...

Cute Easter kiddos. Aiden always talks about Buzz in nursery. He must really love that character, he was beaming on Sunday telling me all the fun goodies he got from the easter bunny.

Jannah said...

Hello beautiful children and your lovely parents, have you noticed that not many people send a picture of the adults at Easter? maybe because we are tired from finding outfits for our children and we end up wearing the same thing we have in Sunday's past. Of course there are the moms who coordinate the whole family's outfits, a family in my ward looked like they were going yachting later.
Kids look gorgeous, Aiden fits last years suit? he looks great, I never would have guessed. And you have to love those matching dresses for dolls, I just match Ella and Liana, and I pretend that it's OK not to have sleeves if you aren't 8 years old yet.

Catherine said...

Sophie and Aidan look adorable! And it looks like they had a yummy and cuddly Easter too.

Please, don't even get me started on Burlington! I cannot bring myself to go to that store anymore - it's a mess. It gives me the eebie jeebies!